Friday, March 17, 2006

It's a busy life

I LOVE my job! Ask anyone, it's just a fact. But honestly, when I first started in this "biz" I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. The job I held for the previous 11 years required 12 hour shifts, so I thought 8 to 5, with an occassional night meeting--piece of cake! And it is, really, a piece of cake...but not a plain piece of vanilla cake with boring white frosting, it's a piece of homemade carrot cake like my dearly departed mother used to make. Moist and delicious with an incredible icing that literally melted in your mouth. It took her all day long to put just the right ingredients together and it tasted INCREDIBLE! Never the same twice, but always exactly right. That is my job. Every day is different and every day is exactly right.

Why do I say that I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started this job? To be totally honest, I really had no idea that it would take over my life, my heart and my soul. I had no idea that 1 year and 9 months after taking it I would realize that I had never, not ever, taken a sick or vacation day! That is not to say I hadn't been out of the office, I am gone so much for work that my S. O. (significant other) carries a copy of my work calendar in his wallet. But I have not had to take any "real" time off because when I do need or want to be out of the office, I use some of the many, many comp hours I have on the books. I often work 10 hour days, 6 days a week and I love every minute of it. So enough, for today, about work! Suffice it to say that I love what I do, it has purpose and meaning and it makes me very happy to do it.

No comments: