Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Aerumnosus ab Taurusstercus

On Sunday, before we went to the hospital, Wolf and I stopped off at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Although it was a bit early for the outside plants, it was still a wonderful adventure. We started out by walking the Children's Secret Path, which was a very cool area where children can interact with plants and the natural world .


The photo (above) is just one corner of a very beautifully painted rock enclosure that sits at the end of the pathway. I can just imagine it filled with school-age children learning about all of the wonderful flora and fauna in the area.


As we were walking toward the Tropical Conservatory, we noticed that there were a few things blooming outside.


This photo is of one of the gorgeous exotic plants we found inside the domed conservatory. It is the mysterious Adeoaccio Aureus. Isn't it beautiful?


This is a photo of the rare and beautiful Curalium Spineous Dictamnus. I thought it was quite incredible.


This is the exotic Artichokius Purpurius Dictamnus which was also in the domed rainforest.


This photo was also shot in the conservatory. I think this is one of the most interesting of all the plants and flowers I photographed that day. It is a Depingo Penicillus Chrysanthus.


This photo depicts some of the lush tropical plants that were growing in the greenhouse. To be honest, by the time we left that humid, hot environment, we were a bit lush as well.


Another very pretty flower we saw was the Piniusconus Chrysanthus.


And a flower that I really liked was the Flavesco Favorum.


We also saw the very strange looking Curalium Contortio.


And this is quite possibly my favorite of all of the rainforest flowers, the Amellus Scurraleoninus.

Once we were back outside, I made a tragic mistake and let my son carry the camera. As you can see, I was thrilled to have my picture taken. Do you think he could have caught me at a more inopportune moment? Oh wait, he could have...and did. However, that photo has been permanently deleted off of the camera and of course scrubbed off of the hard drive of my computer. In fact I may just get a new hard drive to be certain no one ever gains access to it...

I'm not sure if the fish were interested in the kids or vice-versa, but it was fun watching them watch each other.

This picture is of the Shofu-en -- the Garden of Wind and Pines. My son took this one specifically for Chani. I know it's not Thailand, Chani, but it made me think of you.

And that concludes our day at the Botanic Gardens. If you have read this far you have probably already figured out that I made up the names of all of the flowers. I wouldn't know a Daisy from a Tulip.

29 comments:

WithinWithout said...

HA HA HA HA!!!

Way to go, Wolf!!! (*Runs away with Wolf, laughing*)

Your look of utter horror is to die for.

However, sheepishly, I must admit I didn't even try to read your false latin flower names.

So you got me with your last two sentences...

Beautiful picture-taking, though...

KGMom said...

Well, the made up names explains it. I was puzzling over a flower named Artichokius! You tricked us.
But the walk through the Denver Botanic Gardens was lovely.

Pendullum said...

Thank you forthe wonderful adventure...
Truly breathtaking...
And I am glad your son took that pic...It made me smile at his cheekiness!!!

dmmgmfm said...

WW, how come I'm not surprised that you sided with Wolf? Men (and Wolves), you just can't trust them. ;-)

KG, I was in a silly mood, what can I say?

Pendullum, thanks for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed the adventure. And by the way, my son is a very cheeky young man, who will read this and hopefully make some kind of cheeky comment in retaliation (if he can remember his password)...

Anonymous said...

I like the Koi and the kids pic. Very neat-o! Don't be so hard on yourself. I have actually deleted pics of me off others computers and cameras. I don't want to leave a lagacy of bad pics for the future.

;0

Pam said...

Wow! What gorgeous photos! And a breathtaking trip through an exotic, beautiful place.

You look like me in a photo, I have the same reaction when I'm surprised.

thailandchani said...

Actually, I've been to the Botanical Gardens in Denver and it is so breath-takingly beautiful that I could have spent the rest of my life there and been perfectly happy.

(Move over, Thailand! LOL)

Thanks so much for the special picture. That does look like Thailand. :)


Peace,

~Chani

Cuppa said...

Loved the tour and really enjoyed the laugh at the end when I discovered all the flower names were false. Tooo funny! Thanks for the chuckle.

Carol said...

Looks like a lovely place to visit. Some of it reminds me of where I live. Glad you've had a pleasant day in the midst of all that's been happening.

dmmgmfm said...

Butterfly, if I deleted all of my bad pictures, there'd be no pictures at all.

Pam, I consider it a great compliment to resemble you in any way...

Chani, I am so glad to hear you've seen it, it's really a beautiful place.

Cuppa, glad I made you giggle.

Carol, we are doing great. You must live in a beautiful place.

Squirl said...

Looks like you had fun. I love the gardens here, but the tropical part gets sooo warm. I finally learned to dress light when I go to see the butterflies and the orchids. Lovely pictures!

Cathy said...

Oh Laurie - I'm so glad you made it to the gardens. The pictures are lovely and hey! I kinda like those names. For some reason the Flavesco Favorum made me hungry :0D
You're fun and I like it that Wolf is snapping pictures of his pretty mom.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Great pictures, including the beautiful flower on the bench (the one that Wolf took).

dmmgmfm said...

Squirl, the Tropical Conservatory was warm and humid, though I rather liked it for the most part.

Cathy, thank you so much for suggesting it. We had a great time, I can't wait to go back.

Steve, do you need your eyes tested? But thanks!!

Mary said...

LOL, Laurie I was wondering how you knew the names of those flowers! You are sly, lady! My favorite was your favorite "Amellus Scurraleoninus" whatever the heck it is... Very beautiful. All of your day was beautiful!

Even your photo taken by your son. You are beautiful, too.

What a great day! Reason to view the flowers and celebrate.

A very, very, blessed day.

dmmgmfm said...

Mary, I found a latin translation site and entered in the english words that described what I thought the flower looked like. It seemed like our favorite resembled a purple dandylion (after they go to seed) so that is the latin approximation of that. And with that in mind, the english translation of the title of the post is "Full of Bullsh*t".

It's official...I'm a bad girl.

Girlplustwo said...

i love that you did this. i love that you took some time for something beautiful in the midst of all the beautiful things you are doing for Dale.

Anvilcloud said...

I enjoyed the whimsy ... and this post too.

Ur-spo said...

lovely photos!
I love a botanical garden

LittlePea said...

I loved these pics. Your picture is fine-you look great! Now I feel guilty about my own plants I've been meaning to repot....

LauraHinNJ said...

All that matters is that you see how beautiful they are!

Menchie said...

I liked the penicillus one. I couldn't have come up with such creative scientific names for the flowers and plants! That place is beautiful!

Also, I am happy that Dale is ok. You must still be celebrating.

Anonymous said...

I've tried to take pictures of flowers, but never had much success. Your photos are beautiful!

Cathy said...

Ah ha hahahhahha! I wondered about the title of your post. Yeah - you're bad :0D

threecollie said...

Wow, it warms you right up just looking at these photos! Thanks!

Bonita said...

I enjoy the fancy names, too. But, they have a habit of vanishing, and I'm left only with "Wow"! I'm glad you had such a memorable outing with your son.

dmmgmfm said...

Jen, my son thinks it's important for me to take time for this kind of thing, so I don't burn out. He's a smart guy and very good to his mom.

AC, glad you enjoyed it...

Ur-spo, it was my first visit, but I loved it and I'll definitely go again.

Mspea, I have a brown thumb, I'm surprised that the plants didn't all wither when I got near them.

Laura, I love flowers, their intricate beauty fascinates me.

Menchie, it was gorgeous. I can hardly wait to see it again.

Thomas, it's all in the camera. My Rebel XTi has a specific setting for that type of photo, so even I can't screw up. :)

Cathy, you already knew that though, didn't you?

Threecollie, it really did. I felt so energized after seeing it. It felt like spring had finally sprung.

Bonita, my mom studied Latin in school and could probably have given you the real scientific name for most of those flowers. I, personally, have a hard enough time with English...

Unknown said...

A truly beautiful place and your picture is a riot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmmgmfm said...

Dave, I'm glad you got a good chuckle out of it. :)